Monday, February 1, 2010

Colonel and Mrs Hatch...Departing

(Suffolk, VA 1/26/2010) As we motored our land-yacht and dinghy (RV and tow-car) out Virginia Highway 58 past the familiar sights and we saw Suffolk VA in our rear-view mirrors I asked Joy to pucker up. ---
One of the things I enjoyed about the last 10 years of my Air Force career was the opportunity to work in the "joint" world. Joint in military parlance is when all four military services are working under the same command. As a blue Air Force guy, I had to learn the ways and traditions of Army green, Marine khaki and Navy blue...the mix of colors in the joint world we affectionately call Purple. The Navy traditions particularly interested me since my Dad was a career Navy officer. Joy and I had a special privilege several years ago to see these traditions up close and personal when a former co-worker, CDR Joe Leonard, took command of a Navy ship in Pascagoula, MS and we were invited to attend. The change of command was conducted while the ship was dockside. After the ceremony we were given the opportunity to board the ship for tours. As a Colonel, Joy was impressed that I was given the courtesy of being piped aboard the ship and announced over the ships PA system. Careful to render the proper military courtesy's I saluted the US flag flying at the ship's stern before stepping onto the gangplank to make our way "over the side". At the top of the gangplank I returned the salute of the officer of the watch and we stepped on board (OBTW: I am pretty sure I did it right in person, if I am explaining it wrong I am sure some of my Navy friends will correct me). The bosun's pipe shrilled it's melodious OooEEEooo whistle. "Colonel and Mrs Hatch...arriving" the loud speaker blared. We had our own tour guide and crawled around the entire ship for a good while. After some refreshment we reversed the ceremonial procedure for our departure. The bosun's pipe shrilled, OooEeeooo, as we stepped down the gangplank. "Colonel and Mrs Hatch departing", we heard behind us just as our feet hit the dock.

As we pulled our rig away from Suffolk, our home for the past 7 years, full of our own individual memories, and took a navigation heading South to eventually head West, I said again to my wife.

"Joy, pucker up".

"You're driving", she scolded.

"No not that. Get your whistler ready. You're a better whistler than I". I reminded her of the Navy ceremony.

"WoooEeeOooo" we both whistled mimicking the shrill of the bosun's pipe.

"Colonel and Mrs Hatch. Departing"

No comments:

Post a Comment